Hiccups are one of the most annoying involuntary reflex actions. Any sort of irritation caused in the diaphragm muscles results in erratic breathing producing sound. Other possible causes for hiccups could be hot spicy food, lung infection, stomach problem, kidney disorder, sudden excitement, overeating and eating too fast.
Usually hiccups don't lasts for more than 1-2 hours and disappear on their own. But in case you wish to treat hiccups soon then you can try different home remedies. Listed below are top 15 home remedies for hiccups:
- One of the best remedy is to drink water recurrently in short intervals.
- Gargling with lukewarm water.
- To 1/2 bowl of curd add 2 tbsp of salt and mix it properly. Eating this curd is also effective remedy.
- Cut fresh ginger into small pieces; suck these small pieces of ginger.
- Swallow 1 tbsp of sugar slowly.
- In 2 cups of water boil 5-6 crushed green cardamoms. Boil it till reduces to 1 cup. Allow it cool down and strain it. Drink it slowly when still lukewarm. This is highly beneficial natural remedy for hiccups as it soothes the irritation in diaphragms.
- Another commonly used herb for treating hiccups is black pepper. Inhale small quantity of black pepper powder. This will result in sneezing which is a fierce movement of respiratory tract. Hence putting an end to hiccups.
- Cover your ears and then without giving gap to breathe drink water in fast gulps. This is one of the common and effective home remedy for hiccups.
- For instant relief from hiccups, suck crushed ice. This home remedy for hiccups is beneficial in providing immediate relief.
- Mix 1/2 tsp of clarified butter to 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds and swallow this mixture. This natural remedy for hiccups is effective in stopping hiccups immediately.
- Eating spoonful of peanut butter is another effective home remedy
- One of the simplest remedy to treat hiccups is to divert your mind on something else.
- Breathing hard into brown paper bag. The forced breathing movement helps in restoring diaphragms natural contractions.
- Holding your breath for few moments
- Placing an ice bag below your rib cage i.e. on the diaphragm also works in stopping hiccups.
Lastly indigestion could be one of the possible reasons for hiccups hence it is advisable to eat light and less spicy food. As mentioned above that hiccups lasts for 1-2 hours but if it lasts for 1-2 days then you need to consult your physician immediately. Besides the above mentioned top 15 home remedies for hiccups you might come across some other effective remedies please feel free to share it with us.
Author enjoys writing on Health related topics. Check out his other articles at Instah
or Home Remedies
section on his website.